Saturday, November 13, 2010

Flashback

I always have the most interesting conversations with complete strangers in public places. Yesterday, William and I took a little trip to Hobby Lobby. Standing in a very long line to check out, I started chatting with the guy behind me. Turns out he is a doctor in the NICU at Woman's Hospital. I was instantly brought back to the 10 days we spent in the Special Care Nursery after William was born. I asked him if he remembered the "false" positive flu test outbreak in the Nursery back in March. He grinned and said, "Oh, yes!"

Thinking back on that week, I was reminded of God's unfailing grace. I was brought to my knees over and over that week. It started with William having fluid in his lungs when he was born. He was on oxygen for a few days and, although this is very common, it was not what I expected...brought to my knees. Four days into our stay, Adam wasn't feeling great and ended up having the flu! [of course this would happen the week I had the baby!] But I wasn't worried about William AT ALL because I got the flu shot when I was pregnant. I told the nurses about Adam and they gave William a test...it was positive. [I was a disaster...brought to my knees.] They started testing the other babies in the nursery and 8 out of the 10 came back positive. [I was a basket case...brought to me knees.] A VERY LONG 24 hours later, we found out all the tests were "false" positives. No one had the flu [except Adam...and he was quarantined in our condo]. I took this opportunity to praise God rather than lash out at the hospital [although it was quite tempting]! William came home two days later 100% healthy!

[William in the Special Care Nursery]

I was a reminded yesterday, while talking with this doctor, of the mighty God we serve! A verse from Isaiah came to mind...

"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior..." Isaiah 43:1-3

On a much lighter note, have you seen Fiddler on the Roof? My dad and I watched it last night [I didn't make it through all three hours of it]. But I have been singing Matchmaker all day! :)



love, lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment